March 2016 AORN Pittsburgh Chapter – 1
This is the Scrub Sheet publication for AORN Pittsburgh Chapter 3902 for the year 2015 – 2016. I would like the Scrub Sheet to be informative to all members…if you have information relative to our chapter…please send it to me in an e-mail or my address: firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicki Lynch, 432 Turkeypath Road, Mt. Pleasant, PA. 15666.
Here is an updated schedule of Board / Business meetings for this year:
March, 7, 2016. ..Business meeting Presbyterian Hospital BST-100 room
Apr 11, 2016…Board meeting Panera Bread 5-7pm Look for AORN sign
May 12, 2016… Business Meeting Hydeholde Restaurant
June ? Board Meeting
August? Board Meeting
Sept 22, 2016…Business meeting UPMC East
* Any Pittsburgh AORN Member may attend our Board meetings….only members of the Board may vote on items presented.
Our January Business meeting was at Children’s Hospital. Carol Faytol planned this meeting and did a great job collaborating with the guest speaker, Dr. Schneck. Janet and Lorraine are really creating great flyers for these meetings, sending them out early so we can plan to be there, and being able to pay through PayPal. Dr. Schneck presented a Power point on “Volunteerism in Africa”. We had approximately 25 in attendance. We encourage all of you to actively recruit OR nurses to join our chapter.
Steeler Ticket Sales
Carol Faytol asked me to remind everyone she has some Steeler tickets left to sell. Contact her at her address 402 Commomwealth Avenue, West Mifflin PA 15122 or email@example.com if you are interested in selling them.
AORN Surgical Conference and Expo
We will be sending 4 delegates to the AORN Surgical Conference and Expo in Anaheim California. Our delegates are Denise Filiaggi, Vicki Lynch, Joanne Severini, and Dawn Vocke. This will take place from April 2nd – April 6th, 2016. These 5 days will consist of:
- Mandatory meetings we must attend to become familiar with AORN legislature and changes proposed with AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice. We will then vote on these changes which will affect all of the national AORN chapters.
- There will be educational sessions scheduled to attend from early morning to early evening. It’s exciting to look at what is offered each day and formulate your own schedule with which ones you want to attend.
- AORN has planned well known speakers to present motivational and life changing events they have experienced.
- Usually there will be an evening dinner meeting sponsored by a well-known surgical company. They always have a very interesting topic.
Our nominating committee is actively looking for volunteers to fill the upcoming vacancies in our Pittsburgh chapter. Please consider investigating these roles at the next meeting in March, fill out a “Willingness to Serve” form, and help us keep our chapter running successfully. We still need a Vice President, President elect and 2 members for the nominating committee. We have a great group of members who are willing to help anyone assimilate into their role in the Pittsburgh Chapter of AORN.
- We are in the planning stage to host a CNOR Certification class. It was hosted a few years back at Children’s hospital and was a huge success. Lorraine Garrow is looking to see if it can be hosted at UPMC East. Be thinking seriously about attending this class to prepare you to take the CNOR certification test. We will keep you updated as to when the final plans are made.
- Lora Gibb said she has a group of nurses at her hospital who want to take the class.
March Business Meeting:Presbyterian Hospital meeting:
- Presbyterian Hospital will be hosting the March 7th meeting.
- Mario Solario is presenting, “Current Paradigms in Plastic Surgery” We will be in the Biomedical Tower for this presentation. Registration begins at 5:30pm.
- Rachelle is able to get us free parking for the Presby March meeting. Everyone should park in the parking garage attached to the Biomedical Science Tower.
- Go to the main lobby of the Biomedical Science Building and go to the BST-100 conference room
April Board Meeting:
- The next Board meeting will be at Panera Bread on April 11th, 2016 at 5:00PM. Please bring your updated reports and ideas to add to the agenda. Please note…we had to change this date …therefore the meeting will be in a section saved for us at Panera Bread…it will not be in the conference room. Look for a sign that says “Reserved for AORN”
Shadyside Hospital will be having their 10th annual conference on March 19th.